Friday, April 5, 2013

Review: Pushing the Limits

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

PUSHING THE LIMITS will take you on a roller coaster of emotions and have you crying, smiling, and feeling like you've fought your own personal demons by the end of the book.

Echo and Noah seem like opposites, but both have had terrible obstacles thrown at them and both are fighting against life's tide to get above water. When they are thrown together by their "strongly encouraged" school therapist, they find a kindred spirit in each other they haven't experienced elsewhere.

This story was so powerful in everything from the terrifying experiences Echo and Noah have had to live through to the honest actions and mistakes the author allows teenagers and adults alike to make. Katie McGarry didn't exaggerate characters for dramatic purposes, instead she took very real reactions and let them carry their own weight. The story was emotionally charged, empowering, and uplifting from the first page to the last.

I found myself time and again thinking back to my own high school experiences and imagining what I would have done if placed in a similar situation, or how my friends or classmates would have reacted. In each scenario I really could imagine the results and consequences we find in Echo and Noah's story. By far, my favorite part of the book was when Echo's dad met Noah for the first time. His reaction when Noah didn't shy from Echo's scars was so beautiful. It really made me appreciate Echo's dad and realize that despite his many flaws, he truly loves Echo and has the best of intentions at heart. It also told me that Katie McGarry wouldn't villainize any character for the sake of the story, she wanted something truer and more real. I loved every second of the emotional journey that is PUSHING THE LIMITS.

**Reviewed by preppea on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews

View all my reviews

BUY IT NOW! - Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment