Thursday, May 9, 2013

Review: The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

So this is a case where I was let down by the reviews on Goodreads... The first time I saw this cover, I thought I MUST read this book, now! Then I read the summary and I REALLY REALLY wanted to read this book. But then I started reading the reviews and there were so many negative reviews that I ended up moving The Selection way down on my "to read" list... The problem was, every time I saw the cover anywhere, I was back to drooling over this awesome looking book. Finally I decided I'd compromise, I'd read the book but borrow it from the library versus buying it in case the reviews were correct.

THEY WERE WRONG! I loved this book. So yes, it is totally Hunger Games meets Cinderella meets The Bachelor. But I'm not ashamed to admit that all three of those rank pretty high on my love list... So if you read the summary and think it sounds like something you'd enjoy - then you will be correct. Don't let the reviews stop you - they were probably people who didn't like the sound of the summary but read it anyway. That's my guess anyway. But being an avid Bachelor watcher, this was right up my alley.

The author set up the dystopian world, but didn't dwell too heavily on it. You get just enough information so you have a clear picture of how the world looks, the castes, etc and then she goes right into the meat of the story - America meets Prince Maxon - tells him she has no interest in being with him - and then through becoming friends with him starts to develop possible feelings for him. I for one loved that it got right to the part I wanted to read about - you would find out about the rebels or see how this might become more of an issue in future books in the series - but the majority of the book was about America and Maxon.

My only concern for the series is that similar to Hunger Games' Peeta and Gale, (view spoiler)[ both Maxon and Aspen seem like really good guys and the author could take it either way, and after how perfect Maxon has treated America and how invested I've become in their relationship, I am Team Maxon all the way. I was kind of hoping Aspen would turn out to have had another girl on the side and I'm still holding out hope he'll fall in love with one of America's maids... ;) (hide spoiler)]

I am chomping at the bit to read The Elite so I can find out what happens with America, Prince Maxon, and Aspen!!

View all my reviews

BUY IT NOW! - Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment