Thursday, May 30, 2013

Review: Deer in Headlights

Deer in Headlights by Staci Hart
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

We should all be thanking our lucky stars that our lives are not decided by the whims of the Greek gods the way it is in DEER IN HEADLIGHTS.

DEER IN HEADLIGHTS is really several stories in one. The first layer of the story is that of the Greek gods – they love to host competitions to keep things entertaining and this time its Aphrodite (Dita) versus Apollo. Apollo wants to win for much more than the simple token he will be rewarded if he can beat Dita; he wants to win so that he can turn his love (Daphne) back from a tree.

While I studied Greek mythology many years ago, I really couldn’t tell you more than the simplest of basics. So whether or not Staci Hart’s version is accurate I have no idea, but she definitely explained it in such a way that it not only felt accurate, but felt like I was learning a TON about Greek mythology in the process. She covered everything from Adonis’ background to Aphrodite’s relationship with Hephaestus, Ares, Apollo, Persephone, Zeus, etc. And she told it all in flashbacks that made it understandable and interesting, not just mythology education.

Then we meet the pawns – Lex and Dean. Lex and Dean are both emotionally damaged from their parents’ problems (which ironically Aphrodite played a role in as well). Lex and Dean meet and are immediately attracted to each other, but for a plethora of reasons they do everything in their power to avoid each other like the plague.

I loved that the author was able to include so much mythology into the story and keep it entertaining all at the same time. What I would say that kept me from rating it higher was actually the very same thing I was impressed by. There was SO much going on between the Greek gods’ games, flashbacks that were explaining the gods’ relationships with each other, and then the humans and their journey that it made it hard for me to truly invest myself in any one thing. I was just spread too thin and despite finding it entertaining throughout I never got swept up in the romance of Lex and Dean because of all the distractions.

That being said I think Staci Hart has an amazing voice and writes beautifully and I definitely see promise in future books by her. I think she has a great knack for writing about Greek gods and keeping it entertaining and if I see a future book by her that focuses on either gods or contemporary romance, I’ll definitely pick it up!

**Copy provided by the author/publisher for an honest review.

**Reviewed by preppea on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews.


View all my reviews

BUY IT NOW! - Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment