Thursday, August 4, 2011

Comfort Food by Kitty Thomas

Comfort FoodComfort Food by Kitty Thomas

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This must start off with a disclaimer. This book is about a kidnap victim imprisoned against their will and caged for a period of 6 months. This book contains kidnap, non-consensual/dubious consent...some of the sexual situations were forced, but more dubious consent because her captor would withhold things she craved if she did not agree to his requests.

I went into this book expecting something horrific after some of the discussions I have seen, but I wasn't so much horrified with it, but I was a bit intrigued and disturbed. I just can't really wrap my mind around this entire scenario...I actually felt really sorry for both the victim and captor. In his mind, he isn't doing anything wrong because he is giving her a choice...although he is forcing her to consent to his requests. In his journal he said something to the effect of: 'I found something strong and beautiful and I want to break it'...ok, that is not normal!!! Obviously he felt powerless in his life and feels that he has to control something in order to feel strong--that makes me sad for him. She gets totally effed in the head because she comes to crave whatever he has to offer her...as long as he is interacting with her. Honestly, if you go into this knowing what to expect, you will enjoy it. Although I never want to be in that situation, I can see how both taking control and relinquishing control would empower someone as it did these two characters. It was definitely thought provoking. I thought it was an intriguing and enjoyable read.



BUY IT NOW! - Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment