Sunday, July 31, 2011

Guilty Pleasures by Kitty Thomas



Guilty Pleasures by Kitty Thomas 

My rating: 5 of 5 stars





rating:  ★★★★★
recommended for those who love dark erotica and BDSM

review:  ** spoiler alert ** Have you ever seen the movie "The Game" with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn? Well, this is like an erotic, BDSM version of that movie...sort of...

I haven't heard much about this book, probably because everyone couldn't seem to talk enough about K.T.'s Comfort Food...which was also a great read, but this one is FANTASTIC! Oh! I freaking loved this book! Now, you have to go in to this book knowing that is is not light and fluffy. It is on the dark side, but when you look at the story overall once you have finished, there is so much more to it than that, really delving into the psychological aspects of D/s relationships and other relating factors.

I don't really like to spoil the story for those who haven't read the book, even when I have indicated spoilers, so I will do my best here... The story sucked me in right away and quickly progressed to paint a picture of a couple who once loved each other, but have lost the spark...well, Vivian has lost the spark. In the beginning, I really wanted to slap Vivian. She had this wonderfully attentive husband who wanted no one but her but she was repulsed by him and did everything she could to push him away. After a series of "encounters" with people her husband referred her to, she finds herself in a situation where she must make a deal with the devil in order to hold on the the life she has been accustomed to...when, just 5 minutes ago, she wasn't even sure she wanted that life. Of course, it didn't take long for me to begin to feel sorry for her...she was, seemingly, in a no win situation.

Guilty Pleasures was provocative in the sense that this situation could really happen! When I look back at the logistics of Vivi's descent into this world, layer by layer it is a totally plausible situation. I figured out how it was going to end fairly early in the book, but it didn't ruin the story for me at all. Kitty Thomas is to darkness as Selena Kitt is to taboo...crafty at weaving the story and sucking you in - even when you think there must be something wrong with you for loving such a story. I was very pleased with how this story wrapped up and I wouldn't have change a single word of it!

If you like stories that skirt the edge of sanity a bit and touch on taboo topics such as dubious-consent (not non-con, because she has a choice in the matter), kidnap and forced slavery, then read this little gem, I promise, you won't be disappointed.


BUY IT NOW! - Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment