Saturday, May 4, 2013

Review: Sacred Secrets


Sacred Secrets
Sacred Secrets by Roxy Harte

My rating: 4 of 5 stars




SACRED SECRETS was a very emotional book. It had a unique beginning and an unexpected ending. I am not a fan of 1st person point of view story telling--also not a fan of the Piccoult style switching of narrators. I find it somewhat confusing as it interrupts the flow of story and I frequently found myself flipping back to see who's POV I was reading. I eventually got into the groove of the story and really enjoyed it despite my dislike for the narration structure. 

SACRED SECRETS is a story heavily laden with BDSM and a serious D/s culture, specifically, total power exchange.  The characters are dynamic and three-dimensional.  The story told is very emotional.  Based on the cover and description, I expected there to be lots of steamy, hot sex, but the sexual situations are mostly implied.  In my opinion, that did not negatively impact the content at all, in fact, I didn't even realize the sex scenes were fade to black until I finished and began to think about how the book made me feel.

Being that I have no personal knowledge or experience with BDSM or D/s culture, it is difficult for me to understand and sympathize with the players in this arena--especially when extreme pain and punishment is involved. Make no mistake about it; this book focuses heavily on “the lifestyle”. If you have any aversion to pain and humiliation or round the clock role-play, then this may not be the book for you, but if you are willing to open your mind a bit and experience the darker side of the culture, then this is a great read. After I finished, I found that I am really looking forward to book 2. I am hoping for more romantic emotion, but I will be happy to see where their journey leads them.



✳✳ Reviewed on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews

___________________________________________________
If you like this type of book, you might enjoy one of these groups. Check us out!

Menage Readers

Erotic Enchants

Bookie Nookie's Erotic Lending Group


View all my reviews



BUY IT NOW! - Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment