Thursday, August 29, 2013

Review: Snake in the Grass

Snake in the Grass by Staci Hart
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Staci Hart delivers a well-researched and highly creative spin on traditional Greek mythology. She takes the gods we all know and love (or love to hate) and gives them an outlet to play with human characters in the ultimate game of life.

Aphrodite is up again and this time she’s playing against Ares, her long-standing lover and nemesis all wrapped into one fiery package. Adonis still isn’t talking to her after what happened in DEER IN HEADLIGHTS and without her human lover, Aphrodite is all revved up and her only sexual outlet is the god she’s currently competing against. What to do?

Then there are the players. Japanese mafia offspring Kat and Kiki fled from Vegas after Kiki’s ex almost killed her. Kat is determined to protect her sister at all costs. Dillon has spent his entire life
protecting his brother Owen from an abusive, alcoholic father. Now he’s worried that if he lets himself get close to someone, he’ll be too much like his father and so he doesn’t let anyone in. When Ares picks Dillon as his player, Aphrodite chooses Kat; determined that the two broken, protective adults deserve a little bit of happiness after a lifetime of watching out for someone else.

Now it’s all up to timing, fate, and the gods to see who will win between Aphrodite and Ares. And while this is enough to keep anyone busy, Aphrodite is still trying to decide if she wants to know the real truth of what happened between Ares, Apollo and Adonis those thousands of years ago.

I thought that Staci Hart did a great job of staying true to the mythological roots while taking the characters for a spin that had an excitement all its own. The reason for my rating is not in the writing, which I thought was spot-on, but for my own reaction to the story. I had a really hard time staying in the story when we would switch from the human players to the Greek gods. I would get so caught up in Kat and Dillon’s story, only to feel ripped out when it was time to return to Aphrodite and Ares. And while I thought the gods’ personal drama was also interesting and entertaining, it just left me feeling unengaged in the story as a whole because I wanted to commit to two people and immerse myself in them. As this is just a personal preference on my part, I would definitely still recommend this book to anyone who loves Greek mythology mixed with some good contemporary romance.

**Copy provided by the author/publisher for an honest review.

**Reviewed by preppea on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews.

View all my reviews

BUY IT NOW! - Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment