Sunday, February 10, 2013

Review: Violet Midnight

Violet Midnight (Violet Night, #1)Violet Midnight by Lynn Rush
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

When Jake and Emma meet at a college frat party, they are instantly drawn to each other and quickly realize they have a lot more than their attraction for each other in common. Two years ago they both woke up on opposite side of the country with weird tattoos on their wrists and no memory of how they got there. While Emma quickly found Gabriel, a man open to fate and willing to help her research her tattoo and the meaning behind it, Jake moved from state to state, having much less luck in discovering his destiny.

When they meet each other, Emma teaches Jake about his abilities and together they train and continue to research the history and meaning of their tattoos. While the action scenes in VIOLET MIDNIGHT were interesting and kept the story moving, I found the character development lacking and the characters themselves flat. Not only did I feel like the main characters got a surface description but little depth, the minor characters had even less personality. One character in particular I actually had to go back and reread to see if I'd missed the chapter where he'd been introduced. Aside from a mention of his college major and fraternity affiliation, "Greg" was little more than an occasional crutch and felt like he'd been added to the story at the last minute with little regard to his actual personality.

As a whole, VIOLET MIDNIGHT felt like a skeleton – the bones of the story were there but all the meat that should have filled it up was missing. Each chapter felt like it skipped material and the majority of the book I felt like I was missing some crucial depth. The nickname "Vamps" irritated me and I felt no connection with Emma and Jake and certainly not the 10 days it took them to fall in love. I'm usually a big fan of paranormal romance but this just felt forced – the romance and the paranormal.

**Copy provided by the author/publisher for an honest review.

**Reviewed by Preppea on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews and The Romance Reviews.

The Romance Review

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment